Data-Driven Decisions: please join us to learn more about this important capability
Audience: Business decision makers who want to learn more about data-driven decisions and become more aware of Microsoft Power BI’s capability. This is Not a technical IT “how-to” presentation.
Information is presented as a Case Study:
- Using a fictitious, very small, Jr. Oil Co. operating near Red Deer.
- The business case is simplified to allow for illustration of Power BI.
From this seminar you’ll understand:
- The value of question-led data analytics / data dashboards
- The value of integrating multiple sources of data
- How data dashboards generate insight
- Typical roles associated with dashboard initiatives
- Basic components of Power BI
Attendee feedback from similar sessions by Fuzeium using Calgary vehicular traffic analysis:
- “I was absolutely taken with the content, the flow, the story, your pace and your ability to create a comfortable and engaging environment for us participants”
- “The ‘storyline’ was very powerful … I stayed captivated throughout the presentation”
- “It was wonderful, and I really enjoyed how you structured the presentation”
Fuzeium is an innovative data analytics consultancy based in Calgary.
We emphasize question-led analytics, of which Microsoft Power BI plays an important part.
Decision makers in organizations can find it difficult to guide and resource data analytics initiatives. Starting with an intuitive approach of asking questions is a start…
We all can feel overwhelmed by data and analytics: so much data; many formats; so many technologies; too much jargon. Let’s lift our heads; step back and view the world through some simple frameworks…
If you have Microsoft Power BI but your team wants to better understand it, and get more out of it, consider our Calgary-based offer.
Insight From Data Dashboards: A big chunk of the work pertains to the data itself, and when it’s done well, a small portion of the effort pertains to the visual layer.
Generating insight from data takes an assembly of skills and roles–often in the form of an integrated team. We display the main areas as an arch. The red keystone, which is the business domain knowledge, holds the arch together. The left side of the arch is more technical; the right side less so. The narrative is very important in terms of explaining how the analysis of data has led to insight.
Microsoft has showcased one of Fuzeium’s Power BI Report / Dashboards.
You can access the dashboard and the video from their site.
Jun 21, 2018 – We thoroughly enjoyed delivering the seminar on Enabling Data-Driven Decisions with Power BI by analyzing Calgary Traffic Incident data (using City of Calgary Open Data as the basis).
See how we do it for free: fuzeium.com/learn
Just name and email required
We demonstrate below how one can proto-type some statistical analysis in the form of an interactive dashboard. In doing so, multiple sources of public data can be simplified, visualized and made more insightful. Using two off-the-shelf products from Microsoft, Excel 2016 and Power BI, we scraped data from nearly 20 public web pages on two sites and produced an interactive display.
Using Excel 2016 (and its Query Editor) we were able to extract data from tables on Web pages and create a data workflow to improve it for analysis. The aggregated data was then modeled into several tables within Power BI. The Report building feature of Power BI was then used to create visuals and enable interactivity.
The resulting interactive dashboard for the 2017 Canadian U Sport Soccer Championship is embedded below.
Canadian U Sport is the governing body for Canadian university sports. Their national soccer championship in Nov 2017 awarded Gold to the Cape Breton University Men’s team and Gold to the Université de Montréal Women’s team.
- Of the 6 medals awarded in the finals (Gold, Silver, Bronze for both Men and Women), 4 of the medals went to teams from relatively small schools.
- Two universities garnered two medals each.
- All of the medal winners (with the exception of one team) had strong records in their respective divisions going back 8 years.
Where would you find that information, and which other schools competed and received medals?
According to U Sport, there are 56 universities in Canada with about 12,000 student-athletes competing in various sports. U Sport has its own site for publishing statistics, but there are numerous other ones too, often reflecting the geographic divisions across the country. And then the universities have their own sites to promote their teams, their results and to build esprit de corps on campus.
- You can see the soccer medal summary for both men or women.
- You can see the size of their respective schools.
- You can see the historical goal differential by selecting each team.
Note: Use the bi-directional arrow in the bottom right of the dashboard to make it full screen.
This link will demonstrate how Canadian Scholarship/AFA data can be represented.
Fuzeium’s dashboard platform and expertise are largely based on Microsoft’s Power BI and Microsoft Azure Cloud. The capabilities are applicable to any industry. Please contact us if you like more information.