Which Alberta oil & gas wells have geothermal potential?
- With the support of the Alberta Government, CanGEA commissioned a study to illustrate the size of the opportunity to co-produce geothermal energy from existing Oil & Gas wells in Alberta.
- With the goal of better public awareness and engagement with these results; CanGEA worked with Fuzeium to create an interactive experience to complement the report.
- A pair of interactive dashboards was created; enabling the general public to easily connect with the results of this study and imagine how geothermal co-production could impact and benefit their communities.
- Over 60,000 oil and gas wells in Alberta have the potential for geothermal production.
- Three categories, based on the temperature at the bottom of the well:
Power Generation (>120c) : about 500 wells
Industrial Heat (>90c): about 7,200 wells
Direct Heat (>60): about 53,000 wells