Which Alberta oil & gas wells have geothermal potential?
- With the support of the Alberta Government, CanGEA commissioned a study to illustrate the size of the opportunity to co-produce geothermal energy from existing Oil & Gas wells in Alberta.
- With the goal of better public awareness and engagement with these results; CanGEA worked with Fuzeium to create an interactive experience to complement the report.
- A pair of interactive dashboards was created; enabling the general public to easily connect with the results of this study and imagine how geothermal co-production could impact and benefit their communities.
- Over 60,000 oil and gas wells in Alberta have the potential for geothermal production.
- Three categories, based on the temperature at the bottom of the well:
Power Generation (>120c) : about 500 wells
Industrial Heat (>90c): about 7,200 wells
Direct Heat (>60): about 53,000 wells
Feel free to interact with the dashboards below. "Full Page" mode is helpful.
This case study illustrates business intelligence, data analytics and visualization,
while leveraging Microsoft Power BI & Microsoft Azure Cloud Services.