How many "inactive" oil & gas wells are in Alberta?
- The question above was asked by a committee (in Oct 2016 ) that was investigating innovative ways to decommission inactive wells.
- Inactive wells in Alberta have not produced in at least 6 months (if deemed high risk) or 12 months (if deemed lower risk). The majority of inactive wells will never produce again. They need to be decommissioned.
- Fuzeium developed a series of data dashboards that described the inventory of Alberta oil & gas wells that were inactive (non-producing) or orphaned (no longer an owner).
- This was done by interpreting data published by the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER).
- According to the AER's data, the number of inactive wells in Alberta is about 85,000.
- And about 3,500 of those are "orphaned", which means that the companies
Feel free to interact with the dashboards below. "Full Page" mode is helpful.
This case study illustrates business intelligence, data analytics and visualization,
while leveraging Microsoft Power BI & Microsoft Azure Cloud Services.